A roadie is a person who accompanies a band on tour and is responsible for setting up and tearing down the stage at each venue.
Roadies do all of the carrying of gear back and forth and may be responsible for everything from setting up the lighting to restringing instruments.
Some roadie jobs are very technical, while others fall more into the category of manual labor.
More about how to become a Rock and Roll roadie...
Interesting Roadie Facts:
- Noel Gallagher was a roadie for Inspiral Carpets before he joined Oasis.
- Lemmy was a roadie for Jimi Hendrix before joining Hawkwind, and later forming Motörhead.
- Henry Rollins was a roadie for The Teen Idles, the band that would eventually become Minor Threat before singing with Black Flag and Rollins Band fame.
- David Gilmour was a roadie for Pink Floyd before Nick Mason asked him if he would be interested in joining the band as a guitarist.
- Ben Shepherd was a roadie for Nirvana before joining the band Soundgarden as a bass player.
- Jello Biafra worked as a roadie for The Ravers (later known as The Nails) before forming the Dead Kennedys with guitarist East Bay Ray
- Joey DeMaio of Manowar was a pyro-tech for Black Sabbath during their "Heaven and Hell" tour.
- Frank Bello was a roadie and guitar technician for Anthrax before replacing Dan Lilker on bass for Anthrax's second album Spreading the Disease.
- Kliph Scurlock of The Flaming Lips was originally a roadie for the band before being asked to join the band as a drummer on tours.
- Gene Hoglan was a light technician for Slayer during their early days. He is best known for his works with the bands Devin Townsend, Dark Angel, Death, Dethklok, Strapping Young Lad, Pitch Black Forecast, Testament and most recently Fear Factory.
- Billy Howerdel worked as guitar tech and Pro Tools engineer for the band Tool before he started A Perfect Circle which featured Maynard James Keenan as band member.
- Megadeth has had two instances where roadies have replaced members to become official members themselves: Chuck Behler was originally the drum tech for Gar Samuelson only to replace Gar who was fired. Ironically, sometime later, Chuck's drum tech, Nick Menza took over on drums when he too was fired.
- Andreas Kisser, of Sepultura was a guitar tech for the founding vocalist and guitarist Max Cavalera until he was asked to join the band as their lead guitarist replacing previous guitarist, Jairo Guedes.
- Joe Leeway worked as a roadie for the British group Thompson Twins before officially joining the band.
- Krist Novoselic was a roadie for the Melvins before forming Nirvana with Kurt Cobain.
H O M E